Friday, February 27, 2009

Silencing the Lambs: Scientists Target Sheep Belching to Cut Methane

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123561039911777481.html

Reducing Gas in Livestock Could Help World Breathe Sigh of Relief Over Global Warming

Ok, this is a very bizarre, yet interesting article. It was on the front page of the Wall Street Journal this past Thursday and when I read the article title I was a little thrown off. Basically the article is an environmentally focused one and the topic is reducing the speed of global warming. There has been all this research about livestock emitting methane gases when belching. According to the United Nations, methane is one of the most potent greenhouse gases and is beginning to believe that livestock industries are a major contributor to climate change. They said that these industries are responsible for more greenhouse-gas emissions than cars are! I think that definitely puts it into some perspective, but who would have every thought about something like this?

They are doing a lot of research into this. Studying livestock stomachs as well as placing them into special chambers where they eat grass and remain there until they burp to analyze the atmosphere. It is a little farfetched I think. I mean don't get me wrong, I care about the environment, but this just seems extreme. Maybe it's not; if it is that big of a contributor then it really does need some research. But how do you even solve a problem like this?? I don't know, this was just an interesting article I thought. I just wasn't expecting to read that on the front page of the WSJ.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite sure about this. You're right, how would they go about fixing the problem if they prove that it is a problem? They can't keep livestock from burping. I think there are bigger contributors to greenhouse gases - US. Is this an attempt to avoid some of the blame for the environment, putting it on the animals instead of humans? Interesting article. I'm curious to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete