Monday, April 20, 2009

Lean Times Bring Workouts Home

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123984558896723563.html

There have been several blogs within The Blogaroos that discuss the effects of the recession that the economy has been facing. A couple blogs discussed making sports gambling and weed legal in the country. I have another interesting article that relates to this area, but on a more individual level than a nation-wide one. When reading the WSJ last week, there was an article talking about people no longer going to gyms for exercise and are starting home workouts.

The article notes how some people are either doing workouts from Exercise TV or getting them from ondemand on their Netflix subscriptions. Also, sales of personal workout dvds and mats etc have seen an increase, where high-end gym memberships have been either flat or seeing a decrease.

I thought this was a good article because I think it is interesting to see how people change their everyday activities when facing economic downturns. Some people stop buying their cup of coffee before work and start brewing at home, some carpool to work or take the bus rather than fill up on their own cars, and now, some workout and exercise at home rather than pay a gym membership fee every month. People really begin to realize what the need and what they don't need, or at least how to use their resources to more efficiently enjoy the things they are used to. So my question is, do you think that once the economy gets back on its feet that people are just going to be jumping back into these daily luxuries? I feel like once you realize the money you can be saving and essentially getting the same outcomes like cups of coffee or at home workouts, do people just go back or do they realize their savings and keep it up?

Obviously there are more conveniences with these luxuries, but I do not know if I necessarily think they outweigh the cost benefits that you save. Once again, I just thought that this was an interesting side-effect to the recession the economy is facing and wanted to see what other thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment