http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123932118390206983.html#mod=todays_us_nonsub_weekendjournal
Asher Roth courts fans with a suburban spin on hip-hop
More and more Asher Roth has been entering the musical spotlight with his hit single "I Love College." Funny enough, my friends and I have actually been listening to this song for months now and think it is so funny, but true at the same time. I feel like a good portion of people in college can relate to his song which is why it has become so popular in the recent past.
This article, I thought was interesting, because the highlight of Asher Roth is that he is a white rapper, comparable to Eminem. There have been very few succesful, noteworthy white rappers in an area of music that is predominantly African American. Not only this, but many rappers rap about the hard times they have lived through and overcame and it is an outlet for them to express their feelings and ask questions. Asher Roth is from an opposite end of the specturm: "Mr. Roth is challenging that cultural barrier -- in part by joking about it with rhymes about his suburban roots and supportive nuclear family." Does this hurt him in the hip-hop industry? I am curious to see his success.
This is an interesting area in music as a medium for me. Here we are as a people trying to completely dimolish stereotypes of people and equalize America whether dependent on race or gender. For some reason, however, the hip-hop industry has been hard to overcome and break-away from the African-American hold that it has. With few successes such as the Beastie Boys and Eminem there has been little success otherwise. Why is it so hard I am wondering? Is it really because certain people do not fit the mold of rappers that has been created over the past few decades, or is it simply that there is just simply no talent?
I have not heard many of his songs besides his hit single, which I think is funny and good. But I can see him being another short-lived artist and am curious to see him try and overcome the pressures that have already been applied to him. I am curious to know what others think about this topic and Asher Roth the artist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love Roth's song, "I Love College," too! He is so funny, but I agree, I will be curious to see if his career will survive or whether his song will be a one hit wonder. It's weird that there are still stereotypes about rappers and what race they should be, but I think all genres of music are kind of fusing into one nowadays. Asher Roth is a great example of comedy and hip-hop. I think Roth will be successful for a little while, especially with the college-age demographic, but am not sure if his music will translate to adult or younger teenage listeners.
ReplyDeleteI love the song as well and also wonder whether or not his career will last. In regard to hip-hop being a prodominent staple in black culture, I think any group of people that creates something will maintain a decent hold on it for a while. There are many facets of hip-hop, this fact must be taken into careful consideration. Some songs have simple beats and the lyrics are the main focus but some have great beats and say absolutely nothing. Asher Roth may have a lot of important things to say, suburban background aside. Or, he might find some great producers and come out with awesome dancing and party songs. I do not think comedic raps though, like "I Love College" is a career path within the industry. Songs like that give you an audience and name recognition so when your next song is released people will actually listen.
ReplyDelete