http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123811752650153857.html#mod=todays_us_nonsub_weekendjournal
Since President Obama has been in office he has certainly been tackling a bunch of different tasks. One of the many things he has mentioned to do is to loosen travel restrictions to Cuba.
As you may know, Cuba is the only country in the world that does not allow Americans into its country, aside from reporters and relatives of Cubans. Now, Cuban Americans can visit Cuba once a year and can spend up to $179 a day. I thought this was interesting that they try to cap the amount of money you can spend in one day. Although, while reading the article it said you can get a great seafood dinner for $6, so maybe that amount in a day is reasonable.
Further loosening of travel and trade restrictions does not look too likely, but I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. I was surprised to read how many Americans visit Cuba illegally each year, as well as Cuba's visitor policies like no visas, etc. Being Mexican and Cuban myself, I know this kind of news has meant a lot for my family. My grandmother was born in Cuba and came to the US when she was 18 and has not returned since. Even though she has family in Cuba, it is still difficult to travel there.
I just thought this was an interesting story that was a little more personal for me and thought I would share the story with everyone. I hope to travel there one day, but would love it if the travel restrictions loosened up a little bit more by that time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment