http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123793945676332341.html
I thought this article from this past Wednesday was good in relation to some conversation we have been having in class lately. I do not use Twitter, but do not what it is. Although it has become increasingly popular and is mentioned almost everywhere you turn, apparently it's ability to make profit may be minute. So what better wat to create profit than to somehow include advertising in people's "tweets?"
Basically, advertisers place bids to place their advertisements in tweets that mention specific words like iPod or NCAA. Then people who follow those people's twitters will see the advertisements while reading their updates. Advertising has really flooded everything around us, and anywhere there may not be advertising they are now finding ways to make their way there.
It is so crazy how much advertising there is around us. Just like in that presentation two weeks ago when we watched the clip on advertising placement in movies becoming a bit much, they are becoming a bit much everywhere. I am just curious as to how effective all this advertising even is. There has to be a point where the additional advertising does little to help the company. There has to be a point where the return diminishes in comparison to the money paid for the advertisements.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I want to know how effective advertising is too. I personally feel like I've become numb to most advertising, where I don't even pay attention to it or notice anymore since it's everywhere. I wonder if the bombardment of advertising is more harmful than good for that reason. I understand the necessity of advertising in terms of revenue for many media outlets, but they also have to consider the possible negative effects of too much advertising has on revenue since it may deter people from using that particular outlet. I'm sure companies research the effectiveness of advertising, but I can't help but wonder how accurate it is and how it has led the media to advertise as much as it does.
ReplyDelete