http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123672828150888771.html
*Actually, It's Misleading, Incomplete or Obscured in Fine Print that Few People Read
So, this article was located in the Currents section of the first section in the WSJ. The article is focusing on how the "downward-spiraling economy" has had an effect on advertising for many food products. Some of the prime examples used in the article are Progresso vs. Campbell's, Domino's vs. Subway, and Burger King vs. McDonald's. Since the economy is in a recession and there is not as much cash flow to grow these food company's, they have begun trying to take their competition's pieces of the pie. If they cannot grow within the industry, they have to gain market share and grow within the current size of the industry pie.
Honestly, this has been an advertising tactic for decades. I remember watching commercials when I was a kid asking the audience why they take 6 Tylenols when they could be taking only 2 Advils to do the same job. I do; however, think that today's advertisers are stretching their boundaries a little in comparison advertising. As far as medicine goes, it is more scientific and easier to prove. Comparing Tums to Alka-Seltzer, or Tylenol Cold PM to Nyquil. These type of comparisons can be proven in studies. On the other hand, food comparison ads are more subjective based on "taste testing." The article talks about how some of the companies are not willing to show their research to support their claims.
It is becoming more and more prevalent in the food advertisements that they compare their tastes to the competition. Most recently has been Dunkin Donuts vs. Starbucks. How seriously can consumers take these ads though? Are we supposed to believe the numbers, and just because most people enjoy one taste over another says nothing for the consumer personally. Many people have already had a BK Whopper and McDonald's Big Mac in their life, some of these decisions are already made and I do not see how these ads really benefit some of the companies that do it. Domino's vs. Subway is a little more understandable because Domino's has this new product that they're trying to break into the market with, but even here I don't think people really ever compare in their minds Subway or Dominos.
We've talked about consumerism in class and the effect of advertisements on society. As stated in our presentation last class, just because the economy is facing a recession doesn't downplay advertisements, it just changes the way of advertising. More and more advertisements today focus on prices and getting the most value for your money. Or, like the food industry, advertisements have begun attacking the competition more and more. It is a tough time for the marketplace and to maintain a large share in your industry, and nearly impossible to really grow right now. I guess it's survival of the fitest, or at least survival of the most convincing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree that this new form of competitive advertising is a direct result of the economic turmoil. As we saw in class today, marketers are going to new and great lengths in order to get their product out into the market. Especially in today's market, advertisements have to be constantly evolving and finding new ways to reach the customer. Unfortunately, atleast for me personally, I do not think that this is a successful way to do so. Like you said, I'm not sure that a list of numbers can really alter my decision between a Big Mac and a Whopper. I do not care how many times an advertisement tells me that McDonald's has won in every single taste test against Burger King. I still know that Burger King will win in my personal taste test every time. I mean maybe if both products were new and I had never tried either I would consider the raw numbers thrown at me but, otherwise, I don't think the advertisments stand a chance.
ReplyDelete