http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123845358462571299.html
In this past Tuesday's WSJ there was an article talking about after-graduation jobs. Unfortunately the article states that college-campus recruiters intend to hire 22% fewer graduates from this year's class than last year's class. That is a really big number and I feel like the article is really relevant for us and thought it would be interest to post and get some feedback on what the article is saying.
One of the advantages of being a graduate has over a senior professional has to do with our youth. Although newly graduated students do not have the amount of experience, they are cheaper to hire, hard working, and more flexible than senior professionals. The article also offers some tips like taking on internships even if they offer little or no pay for the experience that can set you aside from others on your resume. I thought this was an interesting suggestion and it made me think of class yesterday.
The end of class we were talking about how we feel about unadvantaged people and the opportunites they have in going up society's ladder. With that being said, I do not think it is everyone's abilitiy to take on internships that pay little or nothing at all. I know I could not do this. I have bills and rent that keep coming whether the money is there or not, just as everyone does, but absolutely no outlet of income besides my job. Unfortunately, my family can not really help me out with most of these expenses. There are the options of loans, but with already having loans out for school, I do not see how it would be smart or feasible. So are the same opprotunities and ability to take advantaage of these opportunities there for everyone?
The article further talks about students being creative and reaching out to their industry. I thought this was some good advise that would be helpful for everyone. Networking is such a help when looking for a job and the alumni at colleges can often help even more. I know Lehigh has a great alumni base so I found this to be some good advise as well.
Overall, I thought the article was good and offered some helpful points that would be relevant to us in class. However, I also thought it was interesting the link I found to class as far as whether everyone has equal opprotunity to set themselves apart from every other student as far as internships go. Either way, I wish the best of luck to everyone and pray the economy turns around in the next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twenty-two percent is a much larger number than I expected. I mean it makes sense that hiring is down, especially for new graduates, but I wouldn't have guessed it was down so much. It is true that not everyone has the same opportunities to set themselves apart from others competing for the same job, and not having the money needed to support yourself through such opportunities, especially unpaid ones, certainly limits your options. I feel sorry for college seniors who are graduating this year and are trying to find a job right now. Hopefully most who don't land the job they want can at least get a job that provides related experience to what they really want to be doing so that when the economy does start to improve and jobs open up they can take that experience with them.
ReplyDeleteI agree that people are not on level ground when it comes to social classes. In terms of education, not everyone can afford to attend a $50,000 a year school in order to get a prestigious university name on a degree. Nor can many people I know afford to take an entire summer off of work in order to "set themselves apart" from their peers. It is obviously a good idea to do so if the situation is right but for some people it is simply out of the question.
ReplyDeleteThe 22% number is quit intimidating and, being a year away from graduation, it really is scary. It seems as though, more than ever, it is all about who you know in order to get your foot in the door. This could also be affected by social class. I am sure many people at Lehigh are able to call on family friends or acquintances to lend a helping hand in the hiring process. People from not-so-privileged neighborhoods simply do not have this luxury and are, once again, at a disadvantage
I think our generation will have to make some sacrifices. I know this summer I have an unpayed internship but it is with CBS so the experience will be awesome and a great addition to my resume. I think reaching out to our industry is a great idea, we have to be agressive, network, and not be too proud to ask for help. I know, my parents helped me with my internship this summer but this is not a time where anyone can afford (literally) to turn down help. But like everything, networking is an assest that sometimes comes with being in a better situation financially, so like C-Bo said, no-so-privileged people are at a disadvantage. Which means we have to also help each other. No matter where we come from, kids of our generation are on a closer level playing field than many generations before purely based on the fear of what happens after college that we all feel.
ReplyDelete