http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123750922919090551.html#mod=todays_us_nonsub_weekendjournal
The network of 'The Sopranos' programs a different kind of family show
In the Weekend Journal of the WSJ on of the articles was focusing on HBO's new approach to one of their newest series of shows. They have created a show that is more family oriented, it's the network's only series that will air at 8 p.m.
HBO is trying a new approach to maintaining as well as capturing a new audience and they are taking approach that is more tasteful than some of its most recent episodes, of which included The Sopranos. I found this article to be interesting because it made me think about some of the topics we've talking about in class pertaining to media and ideology. We have mentioned that a lot of television networks and producers have stayed away from controversial subjects in order to keep viewers happy and to keep people watching.
I feel like television has become a lot less conservative with shows displaying controversial relationships and topics and some have become popular; however, now just like HBO, some networks are reverting to a family-oriented type of programming in order to capture more viewers. I do not subscribe to HBO but have watched several of their series and I think this might be a good approach for them with what they are trying to accomplish. The show is based off of a novel series and it sounds pretty interesting. I am curious to see if this new approach does for HBO what they hope and I will be sure to keep an eye out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm surprised about this. HBO is known for their sex and controversial shows. Shows like entourage and Sopranos appeal to HBO loyal audience. The more PG rated shows stay on regular cable television. I don't believe HBO should try to change their image. I have recently been watching HBO new pilot series East Bound and Down. It is a classic controversial HBO type show and it what people are looking for from HBO.
ReplyDeleteI'm only surprised because HBO does have a reputation for pushing the limit on social topics. Sex and The City facilitated new discussions about women and sexuallity and has been a very important part of contemporary history in regard to women's issues. However, new statistics were recently released saying teen sex and pregnancy are on the rise. Many times society pushes against the mainstream but when the results of too much newness prove to be too much, we are forced to retreat back to conventional American ideals. TV is often the first blamed but why aren't parents better regulating what their children are watching or having conversations about the shows afterward? I'm really disappointed HBO is conceding.
ReplyDelete