http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680765866800501.html?mod=todays_us_nonsub_pj
So the latest model of the iPod shuffle is smaller than AA battery or a house key! It holds twice as many songs as the previous model and now has a voice?! The voice is used to tell you the song title and artist of the song you are listening too, you can also have it recite upcoming songs to you so you can skip ahead to a song you want to hear right now. Since it has no screen this is a really great feature for this model of the iPod. But honeslty, it blows my mind.
Technology has really done some incredible things in recent history and although it's exciting, it is also kind of scary. With the progress and and capabilities that technologies are making in such little time, I can't even wrap my head around what could possibly be around in 40 years from now! Apple is definitely the most innovative company in the world, they have been ranked #1 several years in a row, with 3M and Microsoft taking #2 and #3 spots as most innovative companies in the world. It's just incredible what Apple has achieved with their iPod.
I am not too sure I would enjoy such a small music player, I would probably lose it among other things or sit, step, break it somehow. The article is really interesting to me and it really opens your eyes to the progress the iPod has made since brought into the world not that long ago. I remember my iPod Nano from my junior year in high school and then I look at my iPod Nano now, it's crazy the improvements that have been made!
I have watched this one video on YouTube several times that I think would tie into this article really well. It's called "Did You Know? 3.0" it is a video that talks about the progression of technology and the world today. It is really very interesting and I think everyone should watch it. Like I said before though, it's a little intimidating and scary to think about, but I guess what the future holds is meant to happen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8
Anyway, as far as the iPod article goes I think it is amazing. How many more improvements and variations can really be made? I am excited to see what else they could possibly come up with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really can't wrap my head around it either!! Technology has become incredible over time and we have only touched the tip of the ice berg. I can remember just a few years ago getting onto an airplane with my portable CD player and my huge case of CDs. Those CDs probably held about 500 songs. Now, you can apparently carry up to 1,000+ songs in a device the size of a AA battery. I personally do not think I would like the new IPOD shuffle. I think I would much rather prefer a screen than to a voice that I have no choice but to listen to because that is the only way to know what playlist or song you is next. With that being said, it is still an incredibly innovative product. I don't understand how they can ever build beyond this in the form of a music playing device, although I am sure they will.
ReplyDeleteIf technology frightens us this way, imagine how our parents and grandparents feel. We grew up with technology, or perhaps I should say technology grew up with us, but either way, we've seen technology develop and take so many new forms, and what's scary is how fast it's happening. I remember my first cell phone when I was sixteen, which could only be used as a cell phone, no camera, no MP3 player, no games, or any fancy features. It was huge in comparison to phones now, and that was only 5 years ago. Now cell phones are more like mini computers that have more options and features than we could possibly imaging a couple years ago. This new ipod is just one of many scary technologies to come, and the scary part is someday (like in a year from now) they won't seem so scary anymore. Apple is so amazing, and it's almost like I expect to be surprised by them with every new gadget they come out with.
ReplyDeleteI think this is awesome! I really want one now, even thought I love my iPod touch, it's a little big to work out with. In this economy however, I can't help but get a little annoyed that companies are pouring money into creating little devices that we don't need and people (like me) will still go out and by. While I understand Apple has to survive the economy, which means creating and selling, do they have any kind of responsiblity to at least try and introduce more productive products, like the touch which at least provides internet, email, calenders etc. so people are getting more bang for their bucks? Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Leah, technology is growing at a crazy rate and its scary how much more it will continue to grow. Almost everything nowadays is heavily based on or relies on technology that we did not have only a few years ago. As Leah said about cell phones, not many people had cell phones 10 years ago. But now, I can't imagine what life on campus or in college would be without cell phones. I don't know about other people but I can't survive a day with out my phone and all my other electronics that have become part of my life. With the new innovation of this Ipod, it is just another statement of how much potential we still have to grow our technology.I am worried that we are becoming to dependent on technology. Even with this class, we are required to blog online and this is a huge part of our grade. Without all the advancements and the spread of the internet, what would we be doing in this class instead? If it had the same title it would still be a completely different experience.
ReplyDelete